College of Charleston
College Republicans Constitution
Article I. Name
1. The name of this
organization shall be the College of Charleston
College Republicans, hereinafter referred to in this document as the College Republicans, or CR.
2. The College
of Charleston College Republicans shall be the recognized campus affiliate
of the South Carolina Federation of College Republicans, and of the College Republican National Committee, and shall be subject
to and abide by the Constitution, Bylaws, and Resolutions thereof.
Article II. Purpose
1. To make known and promote the principles of the Republican Party
among members of the College of Charleston
campus and community.
2. To aid in the election of Republican candidates at all levels of
3. To encourage and assist in the organization and active function of
the Republican Party at local, state and national levels.
4. To develop political skills and leadership abilities among Republican
students as preparation for future service by them to the Party and community.
Article III. Officers
1. The officers which comprise the College of Charleston College Republicans shall
be Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer.
2. All officers shall be elected at a regular College Republicans meeting
between April 1 and April 30 of each year, to be announced in writing to all members not less than two weeks in advance.
3. Nominations of candidates for office in the College Republicans shall
be made from the floor by any member in good standing.
4. Officers shall be elected by a majority of those present and voting.
5. Vacancies occurring among the officers shall be filled by the election
of the Executive Board at the first meeting following the occurrence of the vacancy, provided however that notice that election
is to occur must be included in official notice of the Board meeting. A person
elected to fill a vacancy shall serve as officer until the next annual election.
Article IV. Executive
1. There shall be an Executive Board, which shall govern the College
2. The Executive Board shall consist of the officers of the College
Republicans. The Chairman of each standing committee shall be a voting member
of the Executive Board.
3. The Executive Board shall introduce, approve and implement all actions
and activities necessary and proper for the functioning of the College Republicans and not inconsistent with this Constitution
Article V. Membership
1. Any person affiliated or associated with the College of Charleston Community may apply for
membership. Membership application information may be obtained from the Secretary.
2. Annual dues are required for membership in the College Republicans. The Executive Board shall set the amount annually.
Article VI. Impeachment
1. Any officer who, during his term in office, has demonstrated disloyalty
to the Republican Party, negligence or incompetence in the performance of his prescribed Constitutional duties, or willfully
impeded the College Republicans program, may be impeached and removed from office.
2. Specific charges against the impeached officer must be approved by
absolute majority of the officers of the College Republicans, excluding the officer being impeached, at a meeting of the Executive
3. From the approval of the charges until the next meeting of the Executive
Board, the impeached officer shall remain in his office and be allowed to prepare his defense to charges.
4. At the first Executive Board meeting after the meeting in which the
charges were approved, an officer or other person selected by the officers shall present the charges and the impeached officer
shall present his defense. Following these presentations, the impeached officer
may be removed from his office by a majority Executive Board vote.
Article VII. Parliamentary
1. The parliamentary rules contained in the most recent edition of Robert’s
Rules of Order, Newly Revised shall govern the College Republicans in all cases to which they are applicable and in which
they are not inconsistent with this Constitution nor inconsistent with the Constitution or Bylaws of the South Carolina Federation
of College Republicans or those of the College Republican National Committee.